Monday, February 25, 2013

Preschool Parable of a Sower/Gardening theme Mon 2/25/12

This week the littles are gong to learn about sowing seeds.  As I've stated before we use hubbardscupboard.org as part of our curriculum.  I then add in the rest of the activities based on it.  This week is the Parable of the Sower.  So, I've planned some activities to go with it.
In our texture box I put ground coffee, beans (for seeds) and fabric flowers.  I also added a couple of spoons for scooping and two clear dishes for collecting.
Art activity I had three different kinds of "seeds" (beans), green paper and I made the glue brown by adding some brown paint (to look like soil) for Monday. Wednesday-Fri I plan to do gardening collage, sponge painting flowers, I have to think of one more art activity - I'll have to add when I think of it! I may have them paint a planting pot and plant a flower seed they can take care of!
Writing Table/center - index cards, popsicle sticks, markers, tape and planting/gardening words.  I am going to try to make some sort of gardening journal during the week to add to our center
Circle Time books -  today, Monday we will be reading The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle.  The other days are books on Parable of the sower, but we don't have them yet.  A requested some from the library, but I have not yet checked to see which ones they didn't have so I can get them from Amazon.
Science center/table - gardening books on Monday,  Wednesday will be gardening tools, Thursday hoping to explore seeds (various seeds, magnifying glasses and books, and Friday plant them.
Easel- Monday - red and white paint (left over from last week), over paper, Wednesday brown paint, big brushes, Thursday and Friday I'll see.  I may add some sort of gardening item to paint with, I have to think more about this one and look over my gardening stuff.
 This is our texture box, with the ground coffee, flowers, beens, dishes and spoons
 Here is little number two, K "sowing seeds" - our art activity of gluing beans onto green paper. You can see the little dish with the stick in it, that's the brown glue.
Here is K enjoying the texture box - she loves this box, she also loves dumping the contents on the floor, but I close it if she does that.  :)

I'm posting pics from Monday that I have taken.  Only three so far, but I'm planning on adding more!

One additional comment, we don't do the letter of the week they way they have it.  We're putting together an alphabet book and also I'm writing words for the current letter. I'll put some of the most recent letters in the literacy center with playdough, road letters and cars (road letters from makinglearningfun.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My husband and I

My husband and I
Photo from our wedding day..long time ago!

Math a different way picture

Math a different way picture
Here is a picture of what Abby did for math a diferent way.